Thursday, August 31, 2006

my stereo on blast

the other day, i was headed out and forgot my ipod upstairs in my condo. normally, i'd go back up and grab it, but since i was in a bit of a rush, i had to make do without it. luckily, it was late, and there were some good slow jams on, but it got me thinking. now that i have my new car, and the 6 disc cd changer that comes with it, why don't i have that thing loaded?!

... which brings me to my question? what 6 cds do you keep loaded in your car (if you don't have a changer, pretend you do)? now, i'm not asking for your 6 favorite cds because it's different than that ... or at least, it is for me. i'd want albums that would fit different moods and mesh with various people. for instance, even though tupac's all eyez on me, biggie's ready to die, and nas's illmatic are some of my favorite albums, i definitely wouldn't have all three.

here's a first pass at my list (and maybe soon, i'll actually get around to putting these in my car):

- stevie wonder's song review: greatest hits disc 1 (or the temptations' the ultimate collection or the beatles' sgt. pepper's lonely hearts club band) - for when my mom or someone else who wouldn't appreciate hip hop or anything else that may be laced with profanity.

- gang starr's moment of truth - my favorite album of all time. it fits almost all my moods and can always lift my spirits ... for we all must me our moment of truth.

- crown city rocker's earth tones - i love this album. not many people have heard of them nor their music, but it's the type of music that even people who aren't really into hip hop can appreciate because of the live instrumentation and jazzy feel. and i like spreading the word of good acts.

- tupac's all eyez on me (disc 1) (or his makaveli album or the nas or biggie listed above) - one of the six has to be some hardcore stuff ... and i mean, who doesn't get amped while driving around to pac's ambition az a ridah? these are the kinda albums you turn up your stereo for and bump with the windows down.

these last two are tough

- maybe kanye's late registration - a compromise between pop hip hop and good hip hop. people know his stuff, and it appeals to the masses, but at the same time, it's a good album.

- maybe blink 182's enema of the state or the cure's greatest hits - to appeal to my non-hip hop enthusiasts.

- maybe lauren hill's the miseducation of lauryn hill - for when i want something a little bit slower or perhaps have a girl in the car.

i dunno ... i'll think about it some more.

... but what do you guys think? would your deck be filled with only hip hop? ... some punk maybe?... only hindi film songs? ... old 80s classics? ... ewok songs? ... stones throw jazz remixes? lemme know ...

(and saying burned mix cds is plain cheating)

1 comment:

DJ Bozo said...

in two weeks this list will be completely different, but for now, in no particular order...

1. The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - for when Dad is with me.

2. Lizz Fields - By Day By Night - for when Mom is with me.

3. Del tha Funkee Homosapien - I Wish My Brother George Was Here - for when Gilbert is with me.

4. Green Day - American Idiot - for driving with just about anybody.

5. Bad Boy Bill - Bangin' the Box, Vol. 1 - danceable and it takes me back.

6. Hime - Ukina - so I could start the conversation with "so check it, she's raps in Japanese..."