Wednesday, May 03, 2006

word association

stealing this idea from terence, who stole it from someone else. the basic idea: put your ipod on shuffle, write down the first couple of lines from the first 10 or so songs, let people try figuring out which one's they are (artist and song title). googling is cheating ... and if you've been paying attention to some of my past blogs, you may get some clues.

a couple disclaimers here:
- i have random shit on my ipod. i felt obligated to skip ones i figured no one would be able to get. i left one or two in with hopes of someone making me proud.

- a lot of hip hop tracks have a guy talking over the first few bars. in some cases, i skipped that talking, and in others, i didn't.

a drink to whoever gets the most.

let the games begin.

... and don't look at the comments unless you want to see answers people have already guessed.

1) i never said i was perfect. i just tried to separate myself from the worthless guys of your past who broke you and made you cry.

2) so you wanna be hardcore with your hat to the back, talking about your gats in your raps. *dj bozo*

3) just a castaway, an island lost at sea, oh. another lonely day, no one here but me, oh. more loneliness than any man can bear. rescue me before i fall into despair, oh. *sidney*

4) keep on ... keep on ... keep on ... keep on. muthafucka move back, i pursue rap with the pace of new jack. *dj bozo*

5) visualizin the realism of life and actuality. fuck who's the baddest, a person's status depends on salary and my mentality is money orientated.

6) unsure what the balance held, i touched my belly overwhelmed by what i had been chosen to perform *terence*

7) and now, the end is near, and so i face the final curtain. my friend, i'll say it clear, i'll state my case, of which i'm certain. i've lived a life that's full. i've traveled each and every highway. and more, much more than this, i did it my way. *sidney*

8) beatstreet, wildstyle, yo mtv raps, crack, 76, slaps, mics, and soul claps. ass crack, kangos, and baseball caps.

9) i'm in the eye of the storm where the pressure's on. and mc's are dressed funny like a leprechaun. i chop rappers up like chicken szechuan. *dj bozo*

10) how many brothers fell victims to the street. rest in peace, young nigga. there's heaven for a g. be a lie if i told ya i never thought of death. my niggas, we the last ones left. *dj bozo*

11) girl i'm in love with you. this ain't the honeymoon. past the infatuation phase. right in the thick of love. at times we get sick of love. it seems like we argue everyday.

12) oh so long for this night i prayed. that a star would guide you my way. to share with me this special day, where a ribbon's in the sky for our love.

13) greg nice!! greg N-I-C-E droppin em basso, ahh oui oui. rock for a fee, not for free. maybe i'll do it for charity. *dj bozo*

14) yo, this is a lesson in friendship. the depths of a kinship. what women and men begin with, and then slip. my pen drips as i scribble my thoughts on thin strips. *dj bozo*

15) back when they thought pink polos would hurt the roc, before cam got the shit to pop, the doors was closed. i felt like bad boys street team; i couldn't work the locks (lox). *dj bozo*

7 comments:

DJ Bozo said...

2 Notorious BIG – Machine Gun Funk

4 Common - Dooinit

9 The Roots – Adrenaline!

10 2Pac – Life Goes On

13 Gang Starr - Dwyck

14 Jurassic 5 – Thin Line

15 Kanye West – Touch the Sky

terence said...

#2 - Biggie - Machine Gun Funk
#4 - Common - Doonit
#8 - i know this one!!
#14 - Tupac - Life Goes On
#13 - Gang Starr - DWYCK
#14 - J5 - Thin Line
#15 - Kanye West - Touch the Sky

Brian said...

i don't think enough people read my blog (or care enough) for this to be fun ... but whatever ...

terence, i think 8 is on the edge of your brain.

i'm really surprised neither of you got 6.

i also think it's funny that no one has guessed the two that actually have the song titles in the quote

Anonymous said...

Hah! So as I was reading, I knew I'd know almost none of them. BUT.
3: The Police's "Message in a Bottle"
7: Frank Sinatra's "My Way"

But, that's all I got. Go team!

Brian said...

sidney, you do me proud

Brian said...

since this was clearly too difficult, i'm going to drop a couple hints here. i'll post answers this evening or tomorrow sometime.

1) i don't expect anyone to get this one (but if you do and you're female ... how you doin?)

5) the guy who spits this verse isn't actually the guy whose song it's on, and i don't think he even gets credit for it. not sure if i even know who he is.

of the remaining 6, i've seen two live (one of those two numerous times). terence has seen two live, i think (not the same two i've seen).

now that sidney got 'my way', there's still one with the name in the quote.

and one artist remaining has been referenced in this blog before.

hope that helps.

terence said...

#6 Lauryn Hill - To Zion