Saturday, October 07, 2006

super ugly

so i'm sitting at the dining table at my parent's house with my mom and my brother ... i just got finished telling my mom that my cousin angelo wants to go to goa next year. her response, "why ... to get married? ... you know, one of your aunts think one of the cousins should go to india and find a wife there." she won't tell us which aunt said it or about which cousin that aunt said it about (or even if it was actually about a particular one at all). that whole talk brought on a big conversation about dating, which is always a great conversation to have with your mom.

some highlights:
after my brother said something about some girl being really pretty ...
my mom: "you can't date someone just for looks."
terence: "but looks are important"
my mom: "i mean, come on, look at you guys"
me: "she just called us ugly!!"
my mom: "not ugly ... but you know ..."

about my brother and some girl he's dating ...
my mom: "so you're dating ... but she's not your gf ... ???"
terence: "yeah"
my mom: "so make it happen"
terence and i: "HAHAHHA"
my mom: "well ... just don't screw it up"
terence: "wait ... you think i screwed it up with [a] and [t]?!?"
my mom: *silence*

those may not be direct quotes, but that was the basic gist of it. gotta love it.

**UPDATE**
terence made it his personal quest at the wedding to find out which aunt made the above mentioned comments about goa and about which cousin it was direct, if anyway. the first aunt he questioned was his godmother, aunty bushu.
terence: "do you think one of the cousins should go to goa to find a wife"
aunty bushu: "i think that's a great idea."
terence: "but have you said it before?"
aunty bushu: "yeah"
terence: "about which one of us?"
aunty bushu: "you"

after the initial shock, terence is quite pleased to have found out who the comment it was about. he goes to tell my mom that he knows that aunty bushu said it about him. my godmother, aunty mia, overhears, "no, i said that."
terence: "what?"
aunty mia: "yeah, i said that"
terence: "about me??!"
aunty mia: "no"
terence: "then who?"
aunty mia: "shawn"

so it looks like i'm safe from being shipped off to goa by my aunts to find a wife for now ... terence and shawn, not so much.

14 comments:

DJ Bozo said...

apparently NT Mia also had a dream about me drunk and crying at the foot of her liquor cabinet, saying I got a DUI.

NT Mia: Oh no Shawn, why did you do that? You're supposed to be the responsible one.

Shawn: Eh???!!?!?

Brian said...

don't worry. after your antics toward the end of the wedding, you've definitely washed away any notions that you're the responsible one ... and probably increased her worry about you getting a dui later. hahah

good times.

DJ Bozo said...

what were the oldies but goodies saying 'bout my antics, must've missed that part!

Brian said...

no one said anything, but you were being a very entertaining drunk.

DJ Bozo said...

oh sweet! 'tis my job to entertain!

terence said...

is it your job to be a drunk???

Brian said...

and if it is, your performance at the wedding deserves a raise and/or bonus.

Anonymous said...

Have you guys ever dated goan women?Can see both sides of the argument-looks are important but looks fade and most pretty girls including myself (that's not my opinon in case you think I'm being big-headed) don't only want to be judged on our looks alone.Oh and I've met you guys before make sure no-one sends you to Goa!!

Brian said...

i have dated a goan girl before ... didn't work out. terence and shawn have not.

and i know they would both agree with me in agreeing with you that looks aren't everything. there definitely needs to be some attraction, but that only goes so far.

and hmm ... you're a cute (possibly goan) girl that has met us before ... and why are you remaining anonymous?!?! can i at least get a hint?

Anonymous said...

can't judge on looks alone, but they make for most first impressions. and attraction goes way more than far. if i'm not still attracted to my wife when i'm 80, i'll have married the wrong person.

anonymous - how well do you know us??

Anonymous said...

I know us goans are close but don't worry I'm not related!!

Brian said...

okay ... so you're not related ... but just who are you?!?

Anonymous said...

Now where's the fun in that!?
clue #1 There's four degrees of separation.

Brian said...

considering it's said that you're connected to anyone else in the world by 6 degrees of separation, your first hint didn't much in the way of narrowing things down.

on to hint #2 ...