Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I Do It For Hip Hop

Around 2000, Common had recently dropped Like Water For Chocolate. Ludacris was topping the charts with singles from his Back for the First Time album. Kanye was producing songs for the likes of Jay-Z and Talib Kweli but was also showing signs that he wanted to rap as well.

Like Water For Chocolate was one of my favorite albums of the year and is still one of my favorite Common albums. On the other hand, I would almost cringe whenever I heard songs like "Southern Hospitality." I was not a fan of the southern rap sound and grouped Ludacris together with Masta P and the No Limit family. I also dreaded the thought of Kanye rapping. I didn't have anything against his flows. I didn't think they were bad, but they were nothing great. I thought Kanye was a great producer, and I felt that rapping would detract from his producing.

Fast forward to today. All three artists have released new albums in the past few weeks. Kanye released his 808s and Heartbreak. Ludacris put out Theater of the Mind, and Common just dropped Universal Mind Control. I think all three are good albums, but back in 2000, I never would have guessed that Luda's new album would (at least on first listen) be my favorite of the three.

A few quick thoughts about the albums:
Kanye West's 808s and Heartbreaks:
My first reaction to this album was disappointment. I really like the production on most of the songs, but the entire album is Kanye singing (or auto-tuning?). The album has grown on me a lot since. Awhile back, I didn't think Kanye should rap. He's proved me wrong and turned into a good MC. In a few years, will I feel the same about his singing?

Ludacris' Theater of the Mind:
I really like a lot of the songs on this album. He has a lot of good guest spots on the album, but at the same time he showcases his skills too. His style and flow has really evolved since the "Southern Hospitality" days, and I've liked his last few albums. His track "Do the Right Thang" with Common sounds more like a Common track than many (most?) of the songs off Universal Mind Control. My favorite DJ Premier produces a hot track "MVP," and both Jay-Z and Nas spit verses on "I Do It for Hip Hop." Does anyone else thinks it's odd to hear both Nas and Jay-Z on the same song saying that they are the best MC out, given their history?

Common's Universal Mind Control:
I probably don't hold any other MC out right now to higher standards than I do for Common. Maybe that means I think he is the best MC still making music ... maybe not. He's definitely up there on that list. Off the top of my head, Black Thought and MURS would be toward the top of that list too. That being sad, I was hoping for more from this album. Right now, I don't think Universal Mind Control is as good as Finding Forever, and it's definitely not as good as Be, but I still think it's a good album. There are a lot of tracks ("Changes," "Gladiator," and "What a World") on the album that I really like, but on a whole I think there is a little too much of the Neptunes synth sound for me.

Now I got to go give Q-Tip's new The Renaissance a listen. I've been hearing good things about this one.

4 comments:

terence said...

damn man. i NEED to give this stuff a listen. the ipod needs refreshing, and though i've heard snippets of some of these albums, the only one i have is kanye's, and i agree with your review. bring on xmas

DJ Bozo said...

http://kevinnottingham.com/myblog/2008/12/17/common-like-water-for-chocolate/

DJ Bozo said...

You know me cuz, I feel the same way you do. Back when Luda first came out I was like, "whatever!" Most of his hits were club friendly and, therefore, hard to ignore, but I never gave any of his albums a decent listen.

Then, in 2002, the thorn in my side, Mr. Bill O'Reilly decided to take shots at Pepsi for featuring an ad with Luda, asking their Public Relations person about the morals portrayed by the foul-mouthed rapper. (Never mind that O'Reilly wrote a novel with graphic depictions of murder several years earlier, which is loosely based on his angst at former employer CBS). Pepsi later dropped the ads and O'Reilly continued, as he always does, with his hatred of hip hop.

When The Red Light District dropped, I picked it up and was surprised - the dude can flow! Too bad Release Therapy wasn't that great. I still haven't given Theater of the Mind heavy rotation but "I Do It For Hip Hop" is sweet! (I think Jay's verse is weak, I like Luda's best!)

808s & Heartbreaks has grown on me but I can't listen to the whole things from start to finish. I'm all for artists experimenting though.

Which brings me to Common's latest - It's definitely a treat listening to Common speed up his flow, keeping the beat and experimenting. I'd be lying if I said I can't wait for him to come back on some boom bap sh!t, but the album is decent.

The Renaissance is on some smoothed out vibe - I love it!

Anonymous said...

i want to see another blog. post soon!